Friday, March 1, 2013

Kefir and Kombucha

How to make kombucha

How to make kefir

Several months ago I started brewing my own Kombucha.  It's easy, not horrible tasting, and supposed to be really good for you.  Probiotics, you know?  I try to drink about 8 oz. daily.  Sometimes I mix it with juice, but mostly I just drink it plain.  Want to see the scoby?
Because we've been a little under the weather (that might be an understatement) this past week, my scoby has been resting in the fridge until I can brew again.  I usually brew in a simple juice pitcher and the scoby grows to fit the opening of the top.  I have a friend who brews in a bowl and her scoby is the circumference of the entire bowl.  That's a little creepy.

And my kefir?  It's just an easy way to get those probiotics into everyone who won't drink kombucha.  That would be everyone except Madeline and I.  I might add the kefir to a smoothie, use it in place of milk for pancakes, or strain it and make a cream cheese substitute for dip.  I prefer making kefir to making yogurt because kefir is cultured at room temperature.  In order to make yogurt, you must heat the milk, cool the milk, introduce the culture, and then keep the milk at a temperature around 100 degrees for 8-12 hours.  Too fussy for me these days.  Kefir also contains more beneficial bacteria than yogurt.
And here's my kefir, culturing at room temperature.  Shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day!

I have to tell you that after our recent bout of gastroenteritis (that's a super fancy word for barfing!) I dosed myself with a few tablespoons several times each day and I recovered faster than anyone else.  My tummy felt better in no time.  Coincidence or kefir?

No comments: