Friday, July 31, 2015

Here's a Little Story For You.

I think maybe I've shared a bit of this story before but it's just so good that I need to explain it all in better detail.  I know it has inspired me and I hope it sparks someone else to action as well.

I also need to explain that I'm not publishing names in this story.  The sweet souls that I'm writing about would not want to be set on a public pedestal.  I believe they would be most content knowing that their generosity and kindness were inspiring others while they still remain anonymous.  They're sort of like a secret club--thugs of love, if you will.

So here's my story:

One afternoon, late this winter, I was surprised to find a rather large package waiting for my on my front porch.  I looked at the return address and had no idea who the sender was.  In fact, I only know a handful of people from the town this package came from.  Perplexing, but intriguing.  When I opened the box, I was greeted by a bevy of goodies:  cards with encouraging messages, books, sweet treats, generous gifts to be used for fun outings.  All of these special gifts were given to my family with the hope of offering us a little bit of joy and hope during our dark days.  But the most incredible gift was the offer of friendship and support for me while I navigated my new course in life.  Promises of prayers.  Encouraging words.  Expressions of shared grief.  No one expected anything in return from me.  This amazing group of girls just gathered around my family and pledged their love and support.

And each month since then, there has been a package on my doorstep.

I cannot express how touched I am by these selfless and giving women.  I appreciate their friendship so much and the funny thing is, I don't even know most of them.  Really.  I wouldn't know who they were if I were standing next to them.  I have had the opportunity to meet several of these friends in person and spend time with them and am awed by their willingness to accept me into their group with no reservations.  Like we've been old friends for years and years.  I'm in awe, I tell you.  Just in awe.

So here's what I've learned from these ladies:  be generous and loving and willing to shoulder the burdens of those around you.  Offer unrequited support.  Expect nothing in return.  Be creative in giving.  Pray.

This concept encourages me greatly.  It inspires me to find someone I can offer some part of myself to.  Sometimes it might be financially, sometime it might be a gift of my time, and other times it might just be sitting together in solidarity.  Do something for someone else and do it expecting nothing in return.  Heck, do it anonymously.  And then keep doing things.  For your kids, your husband, your friends, your neighbors, the lady in the grocery store, the man at the oil change place. We have ample opportunities presented to us daily.

Don't worry about looking foolish or stepping on someone's toes.  Really, wouldn't you rather make someone smile and help them to experience a tiny sparkle of joy in their day instead of missing the opportunity all together just because you were afraid?  Be bold.  Step out and take chances.  Trust me on this--no one is going to complain about kindness.  And if they do complain, maybe they just need a little more love heaped on them until they smother underneath that heavy, cloying, deep layer of love.

That might be going a little too far.

2 comments:

tamillewellyn said...

We should all take time for others. Thanks for the reminder.
Tami

tamillewellyn said...

We should all take time for others. Thanks for the reminder.
Tami