Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Bill's Birthday

One of Bill's favorite places.  He hadn't been in years.  I wish we would have just gone ahead and hiked in last fall.


Today, September 2, is Bill's birthday.  This would have been his 42nd.

Bill loved to act like he didn't want a fuss made for him but really, he did.  He was a presents guy all the way.  Any sort of gift was acceptable as long as it was wrapped up.  The wrapping didn't even have to be nice either.  In that way he was pretty easy to make happy on his birthday.  I've been known to wrap up a candy bar or pack of gum.  A bottle of beer even.  Besides his presents, he was all about the cake.  Occasionally he chose pie for his birthday dessert but usually it was chocolate cake with chocolate filling and chocolate frosting.  He ate his piece in a bowl full of milk.  I tried a bite once but it just tasted soggy and gross.  That's how he ate cake though.  Always.

How do we celebrate his birthday now?

Nothing I think of trying feels quite right.  I mean, I'll still bake a cake.  That's something the kids wanted to do.  But there won't be presents.  No birthday morning donuts or birthday surprise lattes in the afternoon.  (Bill was totally a girly coffee drinker.  Sure, he liked a black coffee, but he loved a latte.  A caramel latte, eggnog latte, or salted caramel mocha?  He was such a closet coffee sissy.)  No dinner out followed by a trip to Target to spend his birthday money on non essentials.

Maybe I'll plant another apple tree.  Or make a donation to his favorite charity.  But most likely I'll just be reminded that he's not here and try to figure out how to celebrate in a new way.  A new way that would make him laugh and know he is loved.  Still.

I'd better go frost that cake.


No comments: