Thursday, November 10, 2011

There Are No Pictures For This Post

With my, ahem, significant birthday just a few weeks gone by, I've felt the need to prove that I can still run a few miles. On a regular basis. Without dying.

I exercise (can't stand the term "workout" because it reminds me of Jane Fonda circa. 1988) on a regular basis. I walk with the kids nearly every day. I have a huge library of exercise videos (yeah, even some Jane) that are well used. Heck, I can even do 12 boy's push-ups without breaking a sweat. But running any distance? Ummm, not so much since baby #4. I tried for a while when Sarah was a few months old, but exclusively breastfeeding one's 4th child when one is approaching one's 4th decade on this earth is NOT exactly conducive to comfort. Funny to watch, maybe.

So a few weeks back I stumbled across the "Couch to 5K" challenge. Basically, you start by alternating intervals of walking with a few minutes of jogging. Each week you increase the total number of jogging minutes, while decreasing the walking intervals. By week 8, you're supposed to be jogging 3 miles.

I'm happy to say that I can still run and I have not died. In fact, it's really not too bad. I run in the woods behind the house so it's awfully pretty this time of year and there's no one else around. Except a few deer and some wild turkeys that scare the hell out of me.

Will I ever run a marathon? Nope. Am I very fast? Nope. Doesn't really matter though, because I'm kinda having fun.

No comments: