Wednesday, June 17, 2015

20

Pine Valley Lodge.

Wallowa Lake Lodge.

My favorite house in Cornucopia.

Today is my 20th wedding anniversary.

Twenty years ago I walked down the aisle, changed my name, and became some one's wife.  I remember it thundered and poured down rain while Bill and I stood before our friends and family saying our vows.  You know how fickle June weather can be in Oregon.

We drove to The Dalles that first night as Mr. and Mrs. Pennick.  We stopped in Woodburn at the Burger King because neither of us had eaten since the morning--which would prove to be a really poor idea.  I spent the next night throwing up.  Newly married, wearing one of the cute nighties I had received as a gift at one of my bridal showers,  and barfing in the bathroom.  Bill had to run to the little store at Wallowa Lake to buy me ginger ale and crackers.  I'm pretty sure I slept on the hide-a-bed in the living room of our little cottage too.

We divided the days of our honeymoon between a tiny chalet at Wallowa Lake and a funky bed and breakfast called, Pine Valley Lodge, in Halfway.  Funny thing, that short stay in Halfway really impacted and influenced our future.  How many times did we say to each other over the years, "Is that what Babette would do?"  Or, "How would Babette make this better?"  I remember sitting on the porch one night, eating dinner by lantern light, watching the bats pour out of the attic of the old church across the street.  Hundreds of them!  That church later became Babette's art gallery. This year I will be purchasing a print from her titled "Cornucopia" so I can always remember our first days as a married couple.  (For those of you who don't know the story:  Babette Beatty, the inn-keeper at the B&B, was the first Sports Illustrated swimsuit model and a really cool lady.  She infused the world around her with the perfect combination of rural living, fancy living, and graciousness.  She had such an ease about her.  Bill and I both wanted to be like her when we grew up!)

In the 20 years of our marriage, I've been pregnant or nursing a baby for more than half that time. Because of that, our anniversaries have never amounted to anything grand.  Most of the time we spent the day with our kids doing something highly unromantic.  At least probably not what others would consider romantic.  To us, we were content to be doing the simple, domestic tasks of our life.  Our first anniversary (I was pregnant with Madeline) was spent at Bob's Burgers on Commercial St. in Salem.  It rained.  In the past few years, I think we always celebrated at a baseball field.  I remember last year (spent at Keizer Little League Park) Bill bought me a lawn chair and a piece of cake from Konditerei.  He knew me well.

So where do I go from here?  How do I celebrate now?  Do I celebrate?!  I do remember.  I will always remember.  Bill was my best friend.  I chose wisely.  (Remember that line from "The Last Crusade" where the knight is guarding the Holy Grail?)  I really did.  I suppose the best thing to do is celebrate like we always have.  There's just one thing missing though.

Bill, I finished your list.  That's my present to you.

1 comment:

Kari Chalstrom said...

Thinking of you on this day. I remember it well! It was a fun time(especially the night before) and a special day. I'm happy to have been a part of it! Much love to you! He's looking down at you and smiling. You're heart is in his hand:)