Thursday, March 17, 2016

First Game. Or So It Begins. Again.


We are a baseball family.

The sound of metal cleats on concrete.  The sunflower seeds that I will now find EVERYWHERE.  The endless loads of laundry (thank God there are no white pants!).  A beautiful curve ball that completely baffles the batter.  Left-handed hitters that pull the ball.  A perfectly executed double play.  Packing my trunk with the baseball bag and the baseball blanket again.

Oh, how I love this time of year.

Or at least I used to?  I think I still do.

Today marks the first baseball game of our season.  As happy as I am for the distraction this provides me and the joy that watching the games brings me, I am also reminded, once again, of what is missing.  Do you suppose I'll ever watch a baseball game without thinking that Bill should be there too?  I can't answer that.

Baseball has always been "our" thing.  It was never just something that belonged solely to me, like say, knitting.  No, baseball belonged to us.  Bill played, I watched.  The boys played, Bill coached, and I still watched.  Sometimes Bill watched but mostly he coached.  He loved the game.  I think he loved the game more than anything else in the world.  More than hunting and fishing even.  He saw things and  understood things about baseball that I never did.  It was like he saw the game in another dimension, one that I couldn't see.  I loved listening to him talk about it with the few people who he felt respected the game enough to deserve the conversation (and I think y'all know who you are!).

Risking sounding like a fool, I believe there is magic in baseball.

So today I will pack up my trunk with my trusty blanket that has seen years and years of baseball at hundreds of different parks on both coasts.  I will pack my special bag with fresh snacks, sunscreen, bug spray, and the other necessities I have found to be essential to my bleacher riding time.  There will be a new, mindless knitting project that will see me through the new season.  And I will find my seat, a little to the left of home plate, and I will take it all in.  Always aware, though, that my favorite player/coach/spectator won't be there to share that other dimension with me.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Always love your thoughtful posts, Julie. Makes me want to take up my portable knitting project right next to you on the bleachers. I'd bring beverages.

Unknown said...

Always love your thoughtful posts, Julie. Makes me want to take up my portable knitting project right next to you on the bleachers. I'd bring beverages.