Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Really Old Dress












This is a dress that my Grandma made for my Mom. My Mom was to be the flower girl in her sister's wedding (her sister was 20 years older than she). I believe she was about 3 years old at the time the dress was made. Without divulging my Mom's age, suffice it to say that this dress is over 50 years old, but under 70 years old.



Every girl child in our family has had their picture taken in this dress. Starting with me, then Alison, Rheann, Madeline, Victoria, Hannah, Olivia, and now Sarah. The dress is getting more fragile with each wearing. the seams are dissolving a bit and the fabric is yellowing with age. But it's still a beautiful dress, made entirely by my Grandma's own hands. It is truly a treasure.



Many of the portraits of this dress were taken by a good, childhood friend of mine, and are absolutely exquisite. However, this friend lives in Oregon and, alas, I live in Virginia. This time, the portrait would have to be created by someone else. And where, in Southside Virginia, would I possibly hope to find a source for such a beautiful picture? Why, WalMart, of course! Like any good local girl, I had my baby's picture taken at WalMart. Eric, please forgive me.



Isn't she cute, though?







No comments: