Thursday, February 12, 2015

Mop and Glo.

Today was Wednesday. It was also a good day.  On Wednesdays I like to clean all the bedrooms in the house.  Change sheets, dust, mop, wash windows, tidy.  You know, all the regular stuff.  I was feeling good today so the cleaning carried over into the living room,  The kitchen,  Then the bathroom.  That's where I noticed the floor.  It was shiny.  I remembered that Bill had cleaned the bathroom a few days before he died.  And he used Mop and Glo.  He loved Mop and Glo.  I hate Mop and Glo.  I dislike the smell, I loathe the shine, and I think the stuff creates this layer of muck on top of the floor's surface that prevents a person from ever getting it clean.  But Bill never noticed anything but the shine.  That's all I noticed today too.
.
 I'll repeat it again; today was a good day.  I'll say it again because tomorrow might not be so great and I'll need a reminder that there are good days.  I'm working hard on getting us back into a routine. (thus the Wednesday room cleaning.  FYI:  Thursdays are bathroom cleaning days.)  Chores and school in the mornings.  More chores, free time, and nap time after lunch.  Errands, running, and more chores before dinner.  Then we clean up the kitchen (oh, the play list I have created for kitchen clean up would make Bill proud!), showers, and then we just chill until bedtime.  It's simple and consistent and it works. We talk about Dad and we laugh.  Sometime we cry, but mostly we've been laughing.  Bill would be glad.

I've been playing catch with the boys after lunch.  Someone remind me to catch the ball in the webbing of the glove.  My left hand is sore.  Jack throws too hard for me but I'm still hanging with him.  He told me today that I was not as good as Dad (duh) but I wasn't bad for an old lady.  Punk.  Jack also took his permit test yesterday and passed with an 88%. Bill and I had to take the same test when we applied for our Oregon driver's licenses when we moved back from Virginia.  I scored an 80%.  That's the lowest acceptable  passing score.  Bill got an 82%. He claimed it was the only time he'd ever beat me on a test.  Anyway, back to Jack's permit.  I'm not good at teaching kids to drive.  Let's just say that my patience level hovers near zero when sitting in the passenger seat.  My right foot jerks as if to depress an imaginary brake and I unconsciously grab the dash in front of me all too dramatically and all too often.  Bill was much better suited for this work than I.   Pray for me.

The daphne is blooming.  The peas are ready for planting.  I had a good run this afternoon.  I ordered new running shoes.  There was happiness and love in my mailbox today.  Phone conversations were uplifting and kind.  Our house is warm.  Our cupboards are full.  Our hearts are still hurting, but there is love.  Lots and lots of love.  I found a sappy love note that Bill wrote to me for Valentines Day in 1989 (I was 17).  How thankful I am for him.  He will always be my Valentine.

No comments: